Even though the formula is rather easy to figure out with 16 teams making the tournament at each division, I thought I'd release, every Tuesday, the state tournament matchups for each division if the season ended today. This changes with each win, loss and tie but I will weekly post it for those inquiring minds. Enjoy!
16) St. Joseph @ 1) Darien
9) Hamden @ 8) Glastonbury
12) Northwest Catholic @ 5) New Canaan
13) Xavier @ 4) Ridgefield
11) West Haven @ 6) ND Fairfield
14) South Windsor @ 3) ND West Haven
10) Simsbury @ 7) East Haven
15) Greenwich @ 2) Fairfield Prep
Best Matchup- (9) Hamden vs. (8) Glastonbury- These two met last year in the first round with the host team reversed. Hamden is a hit or miss squad who's been missing a lot lately but can compete on any given night. Glastonbury is solid from the net on out. This one would be tight.
Upset Alert- (13) Xavier vs. (4) Ridgefield- Not saying Xavier would pull this upset but they certainly have shown they can compete with a Ridgefield. The Tigers have been playing very well of late so I'm not that confident in this call.
Yawner- (10) Simsbury vs. (7) East Haven- The battle to face Prep. East Haven has been successful but is rarely challenged. Simsbury seems to be trending downward as the season moves along.
16) Conard @ 1) East Catholic
9) Cheshire @ 8) Amity
12) Suffield-Granby-WL @ 5) Trinity Catholic
13) Daniel Hand @ 4) New Milford
11) North Branford @ 6) Newington-Berlin
14) Fairfield Warde-Ludlowe @ 3) Branford
10) Milford Co-op @ 7) BCR
15) Fermi-Enfield @ 2) North Haven
Best Matchup- (9) Cheshire vs. (8) Amity- The 8/9 games are proving to be very exciting. These two SCC teams split their two matchups this year. A third, would be fantastic.
Upset Alert- (12) Suffield-Granby-WL vs. (5) Trinity Catholic- TC is hard to read and don't seem to be as strong as that team that started the season 8-0. Suffield doesn't play the same types of teams as most of the other D2's but are strong and qualified to pull this "upset."
Yawner- (15) Fermi-Enfield vs. (2) North Haven- I was tempted to not pick this one due to Fermi's huge win over East Catholic yesterday but the only way I see this one being close is if goalie Sam Roy stands on his head again. North Haven looks to strong for this one to be close.
OUTSIDE LOOKING IN:
22) Farmington Valley
16) St. Bernard-NFA-Bacon @ 1) Masuk
9) Tri-Town @ 8) Hall-Southington
12) Westhill @ 5) Staples-Weston-Shelton
13) Joel Barlow @ 4) Housatonic-NW-Wamogo
11) Shepaug-Litchfield-Nonnewaug @ 6) EO Smith-Tolland
14) Stamford @ 3) Sheehan
10) Lyman Hall-HK @ 7) NFI
15) Woodstock Academy @ 2) Newtown
Best Matchup- (12) Westhill vs. (5) Staples-Weston-Shelton- A pair of FCIAC clubs battle here. Both play a harder than normal schedule with Westhill taking their first meeting 2-1 earlier this month.
Upset Alert- See above
Yawner- (16) St. Bernard-NFA-Bacon vs. (1) Masuk- See the last couple week's posts.
OUTSIDE LOOKING IN:
19) Rocky Hill-Middletown-RHAM
20) Eastern CT Eagles