January 2, 2012
1. Fairfield Prep (4-2-0)- Let's wait until a CT school dents Prep's resume before we take them off our top spot. Any of the remaining 9 teams on here would have been lucky to come away from that tourney 1-2.
PAST WEEK: Bishop Hendricken (RI) L 3-1, Springfield Cathedral (MA) W 5-0, St. Joseph's, Buffalo L 3-2
2. Notre Dame- West Haven (6-0-0)- Playing at a very high clip offensively with star power throughout the lineup. Combo of Zullo, Vizzo and Cretella could be best line in the state.
PAST WEEK: Won West Haven Holiday Tournament- Amity W 7-2, North Haven W 7-2
3. Hamden (3-0-0)- Still need to see more out of Hamden. Offense is coming from everyone which is a good sign but their true colors will be tested Wednesday against Prep.
PAST WEEK: New Canaan W 5-3
4. Xavier (5-1-1)- Best quality of wins in state according to the D1 rankings (I tend not to agree) and a 2-0-1 return from their holiday trip. Not a bad trip for the X.
PAST WEEK: St. Johns, Shrewsbury (MA) L 5-3, Greely (ME) T 3-3. Lewiston (ME) W 3-1, Biddeford (ME) W 9-1
5. Ridgefield (3-1-0)- Only loss was to Prep and outscored the Maine competition 20-0 this week in two wins.
PAST WEEK: Biddeford (ME) W 11-0, Bangor (ME) W 9-0.
6. West Haven (4-1-0)- Some stud performers in Mike Troiano and Austin Hansen but they need to figure out what's going on in net. Flexed their muscle after a disappointing North Haven loss against Amity.
PAST WEEK: North Haven L 5-4, Amity W 8-2
7. South Windsor (5-1-0)- Got a scare against Tri-Town but more than took care of business against the lesser Maine schools. This year is as good as any for South Windsor to have a stay at the top of the rankings
PAST WEEK: York (ME) W 6-3, Kennebunk (ME) 7-0, Tri-Town W 3-2
8. East Haven (5-0-1)- The tie against Stamford still doesn't make sense, chalk it up to early season rust. Next two against North Haven and West Haven will show what the Jackets are made of. To me, they're pretenders at this point.
PAST WEEK: Westhill W 9-4, Wilton W 4-0
9. Glastonbury (3-1-0)- Scoring goals and notching quality wins like the one they got this past week against Fermi/Enfield will keep Glastonbury relevant.
PAST WEEK: Conard W 11-4, Fermi/Enfield W 4-0
10. St. Joseph (4-1-0)- Not blowing the doors off anybody but collecting quality wins. They face a tough stretch over the next four.
PAST WEEK: DeMatha (MD) W 4-2, North Yarmouth Academy (ME) W 4-2, Trinity Catholic W 5-2
Dropped Out: #10 North Haven
A Good Day At The Rink...
These are our top individual performances of the week. Remember you can always submit your own suggestions for individual game performances by emailing me at email@example.com.
AJ Unker, (Fairfield Prep) 2 goals, 3 assists in a 5-0 win over Springfield Cathedral (MA).
Austin Hansen, (West Haven) 5 goals, 1 assist in a 7-2 win over Amity.
Connor Hibbs, (South Windsor) 3 goals in a 7-0 win over Kennebunk (ME).
Christian Keater, (St. Joseph) 3 goals and 1 assist in a 4-2 win over Biddeford (ME).
Bill Vizzo, (ND West Haven) 2 goals, 2 assists in a 7-2 win over North Haven.
Greg Zullo, (ND West Haven) 2 goals, 2 assists in a 7-2 win over North Haven.
Zak Bouve, (East Haven) 28 saves and a shutout in a 4-0 win over Wilton.