January 9, 2012
1. Fairfield Prep (6-2-0)- Prep solidified its position as the top team in the state with wins over #2 NDWH and #3 Hamden moving to 5-0 against CT competition. David White is a true star with AJ Unker and Connor Henry also playing at a high rate.
PAST WEEK: Hamden W 3-1, Notre Dame-West Haven W 4-3
2. Notre Dame- West Haven (7-1-0)- Eeked out a close one against a pesky Cheshire squad and nearly shocked the CT hockey world mounting a huge comeback only to fall a goal short against the Jesuits.
PAST WEEK: Cheshire W 2-1, Fairfield Prep L 4-3
3. Hamden (4-1-0)- Hamden took out some frustrations after the Prep defeat by potting 6 goals against North Haven. Hamden will finally catch up to the rest of the pack with three games this week that will really test their mettle against Xavier, St. John's (Shrewsbury) and Hingham (MA).
PAST WEEK: New Canaan W 5-3
4. West Haven (6-1-0)- Westies are 3-0 since the tough home defeat against North Haven in the semi's of their first West Haven Holiday Tourney. They got their biggest win of the year on Saturday against visiting East Haven.
PAST WEEK: Daniel Hand W 5-4, East Haven W 4-3
5. Ridgefield (4-1-0)- Ridgefield also posted a resume victory against Xavier on Saturday night. With some competition from the Bobcats of South Windsor, they may be the best team not in the SCC so far this season.
PAST WEEK: Xavier W 5-4 OT
6. South Windsor (7-2-0)- Split a home and home with Conard which doesn't inspire a ton of confidence but more than made up for it by shellacking St. Joseph on Saturday.
PAST WEEK: Conard W 6-1, Conard L 3-2, St. Joseph W 5-1
7. Xavier (6-2-1)- Got through a tough game against Greenwich but didn't fair as well against a strong Ridgefield team. Can rocket back up in the rankings with a win Wednesday at Hamden.
PAST WEEK: Greenwich W 3-2, Ridgefield L 5-4 OT
8. East Haven (6-1-1)- No reason to move the Easties up or down this week. A quality OT win against North Haven followed by a hard fought loss to the rival Westies. Behind Marsico, the Yellow Jackets can do big things this year.
PAST WEEK: North Haven W 4-3 OT, West Haven L 4-3
9. Glastonbury (5-1-0)- Quality of opponent can come into question but Glastonbury keeps winning and winning big.
PAST WEEK: St. Bernard/Bacon/NFA W 4-2, Trinity Catholic W 8-2
10. New Canaan (3-3-0)- New Canaan could be the state's best .500 team with losses to powers like Hamden, Notre Dame-West Haven and Darien.
PAST WEEK: St. Joseph W 6-1
Dropped Out: #10 St. Joseph
On the Bubble: Guilford (4-1-0), St. Joseph (4-3-0)
A Good Day At The Rink... (1/2-1/8)
These are our top individual performances of the week. Remember you can always submit your own suggestions for individual game performances by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
David White (Fairfield Prep) 2 goals, 1 assist in a 3-1 win over Hamden.
Riley Wikman (Fairfield Prep) 28 saves on 29 shots in a 3-1 win over Hamden.
Adam Mink (West Haven) 2 goals and 1 assist in a 5-4 win over Hand.
Joey Bonazelli (South Windsor) 2 goals and continued 9 game point streak in 5-1 win over
Rob Celentano (Branford) Hat Trick in Branford's 4-2 win over Fairfield Warde/Ludlowe.
Kaden Batzinger (Lyman Hall) Hat Trick in Lyman Hall's 5-1 win over New Fairfield.
Spencer Manchuck (New Canaan) 2 goals, 2 assists in New Canaan's 6-1 win over St.
Jack Christensen (Ridgefield) Game winning goal in OT and added another in a 5-4 OT win